List of products by manufacturer Aalto Bodegas y Viñedos
AALTO is a wine project founded in February 1999 by Mariano García and Javier Zaccagnini in the prestigious Ribera del Duero Spanish wine region.
Aalto winemaker Mariano García had been in charge of the wines at Vega Sicilia for 30 years, and managing director, Javier Zaccagnini had been the director of Ribera’s regulatory body, the Consejo Regulador, for six years.
Three facts are significant in explaining the rapid ascent:
- The exceptional quality of old Tinto Fino clones (Tempranillo vines which have adapted to Ribera del Duero’s climate and soils). We believe that Tinto Fino can offer similar quality to the world’s best-known varieties: Cabernet in the Médoc, Pinot Noir in Burgundy, Syrah in the Rhône, etc.
- The considerable complexity of our soils (clay, limestone, sand and pebbles) combined with the microclimate of our region.
- The winemaking talent and vast experience of Mariano García.
The key to AALTO’s complexity is the choice of the best fruit from across Ribera del Duero’s diverse terroirs. We now cultivate 110 hectares of old block Tinto Fino vines, made up of 200 plots, none bigger than 1 hectare sourcing from 9 different villages within the region. The top villages include Roa, La Horra, La Aguilera, Fresnillo and Moradillo.
Each plot is harvested and handled separately, with different oak treatments.
Up to the 2004 vintage we were making our wines at rented premises in Roa (Burgos) while our new bodega was being built in a 15 hectare estate that we own in Quintanilla de Arriba (Valladolid).
We designed and built a modern winery following strict criteria to ensure optimal winemaking conditions. We use a low temperature chamber to cool harvested grapes prior to de-stemming and harness gravity to move grapes and musts around the winery, thus avoiding aggressive pumps. We ferment in wood, concrete and stainless steel, employing tanks designed by us. Our two underground oak- ageing halls offer excellent natural conditions to allow perfect malolactic fermentation in wood and gentle, controlled barrel ageing.
Our 2005 vintage was completely made in the new bodega.
We offer two different wines:
- AALTO: is the result of our extremely careful selection of grapes and expert winemaking. It is a wine of high quality and will be offered every year, except in those when we decide that the climate has not allowed for a perfect ripening of the grapes. This could happen one year out of ten. Aalto spends usually 20 months in oak: 50% new French, the other 50% one-to three-year-old French and American oak barrels.
- AALTO PS (Pagos Seleccionados): our top wine, made only in years when the quality of the harvest allows for the highest standards. This wine is a special and careful selection of the grapes that have reached and exceptional ripening, coming from the very best areas (called Pagos) of our vineyards. We expect to be able to offer this wine seven or eight vintages each decade. After its alcoholic fermentation, this wine undergoes malolactic fermentation in new barrels and is then aged for a further 24 months in 100% new French oak.
Both AALTO PS and AALTO are blended after ageing.
Aalto’s production has been steady at around 200.000 bottles, but is now increasing to 250.000. The production of the AALTO PS is no more than 10.000 bottles.
After 16 years, AALTO is widely regarded as one of the leading wineries in Ribera del Duero. Our wine AALTO PS has been elected the Spain’s Best Wine several times and the winery has been selected in Paris as one of the best 100 wineries in the world in Michel Bettane’s and Thiery Dessauve’s book.
- ฿ 2,196.26
100 % Tinto Fino (Tempranillo ) primarily from very old vines ranging from 40 to 80 years old, in seven different villages in Ribera del Duero and Burgos, and younger grapes from our own vineyards in two villages in the province of Valladolid. harvest was done by hand in small boxes of 15 kilos and thoroughly inspected, bunch by bunch on the selection table. 100 % Tinto Fino...In Stock